An introduction to breastfeeding twins
Understand how expressing milk can support your feeding journey with twins.
Throughout your pregnancy you will have the opportunity to discuss how you plan to feed your babies with your midwife or consultant. Much of what you will discuss will depend on your birth plan and it may be appropriate for you to start expressing small amounts of your first milk; colostrum from 36 or 37 weeks as it more likely twins and triplets are born early. If you are thinking of expressing before birth, it is important you discuss your options with your healthcare professional.
You will be advised that expressing milk may encourage labour early and to consider putting a ‘feeding plan’ in place so it is clear to the health professionals caring for you if you have a store of expressed breast milk and intend to breastfeed.
Once your babies have arrived it will become a matter of learning your baby’s early feeding cues so your supply becomes established and you feel confident that your babies are getting what they need.
When it comes to feeding your babies directly from the breast, positioning and attachment are key to avoiding sore nipples and poor milk transfer. You may wish to consider if you want to feed your babies together or separately and it is advised that if you choose to feed each baby from a specific breast that you swap sides daily to support their development through visual stimulation.
We have highlighted 6 positions suitable for breastfeeding twins below:
- Expressing milk can stimulate your supply
- Breastmilk can be expressed by hand or with a breast pump (single or double, manual or battery/electric)
- Your hands should be washed thoroughly before expressing and you should be in a comfortable position with your shoulders relaxed
- You can stimulate your breasts by massaging them or by warming them by using a heat pad to encourage milk flow
Our related products
The Lansinoh 2 in 1 Electric Breast Pump can be used as a single or double pump so you can use it in tandem with feeding your babies from the breast. It offers flexibility in the style and suction level of pumping and can be battery operated if required
Thera°Pearl® 3-in-1 Breast Therapy pads. Used hot they can encourage milk let-down, relieve engorgement, plugged ducts and mastitis. Used cold it helps relieve the pain and swelling caused by engorgement and is adaptable to fit any breast pump.
Lansinoh disposable breast pads to ensure that breastfeeding mums stay dry, night or day,
Lansinoh Breastmilk Storage Bags can be used to create a bank of breastmilk that can be stored until needed
For more information about expressing and storing breastmilk, see our related article here.
- Lansinoh’s 2-in-1 Electric Breast Pump is the very best option for mothers who want comfort, flexibility... View
- Flexible and reusable, Thera°Pearl’s 3-in-1 Breast Therapy packs have soft covers that can be slipped... View
- The award-winning Lansinoh Disposable Breast Pads now feature a Blue Lock™ core to ensure that moisture... View
- Lansinoh’s Breastmilk Storage Bags are ideal for storing expressed breastmilk in the fridge or freezer,... View